Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lima

Always mistakingly calling Lima La Paz, I was worried when I got on the bus in Cusco. 21 hours later I was in Lima! An overly friendly taxi driver, Andre, took me on a drive-by tour of the plaza and nearby colonial architecture. He was sweet enough to remind me to hide my purse between my legs as theives like to target tourists in idle cars.

I only had an afternoon to kill before I borded another bus. I spent lunch in an elegant cafe eating my first dish of ceviche in Peru followed by the famous lomo saltado. This dish packs a punch of tender beef strips, sauteed onions, veggies and a salty teriyaki-style sauce all on a bed of french fries. This was the beginning of a new food love affair. And all for under $5 Cad!

In the vast plaza I randomly started chatting with a guy who happened to know friends from Cusco. We wasted the rest of the afternoon in a pub overlooking the hills surrounding Lima while downing local brew. The beer helped send me to sleep on yet another overnight bus ride.

This time my destination would send me to the mountains! An expected 3 day stop in Huaraz has turned into a month-long (and counting...I´m still here) adventure.

No comments: